Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Experimenting with Light

I took this shot yesterday morning of one of my cats (Eris). She was watching a fly buzz around the window which meant the light was striking her really beautifully. She kept moving so I had to be fast. I had my 105mm Macro lens on my camera already fortunately so I set a shutter speed of 1/250, f7.1 and ISO 100 and took a couple of shots.

I'm always amazed at the detail the macro lens brings out and have started using it at events for close up performance shots. It brings out her eye, whiskers and ear hair detail very sharply. I converted it to black and white in Lightroom to really bring out the shape of the light around her profile.

Overall I'm really pleased with the results and very glad I caught this fleeting image. If I could have posed her I would have loved the light to pick up her nose a little more to round out the profile, but I think I'm nit picking a little here. The conversion to black and white really shows the play of the light and makes see any other distracting background colours don't interfere with the impact. If only she could be used for my assignment, but cats don't exactly do as you ask sadly.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment