Monday, April 2, 2012

Reflections on Assignments One and Two

I thought it would be a good idea to jot down some of my notes between putting together my first two assignments. I learnt a lot from the feedback for the first assignment which hopefully meant that my second one was of a much higher standard. I haven't yet had the tutor feedback, but when I do I will post it here like last time to refer back to.

Things I learnt from completing Assignment One :
  • Read the assignment and then read it again! - I think I made an error in doing the first assignment as I thought that the pictures used for it had to come from the photographs taken for the exercises. I'm really glad it was unmarked as although I did put a lot of thought and effort into the exercises, they weren't all the most exciting of pictures.
  • Presentation is Key - I don't think it had sunk in yet that I was putting work together that is potentially being submitted towards a degree qualification. I collated my photos for submission in photoshop elements and as it was taking a long time to upload them singly, I put them all together in a contact sheet and used that. It isn't always going to be the quickest and easiest way. I learnt that taking more time and pride in my work is far more important than getting it done quickly. It was also pointed out that it's important to keep prints the same size and format which I tried to do here.
  • Proof Read - I'm still somewhat lazy with my exercises (which I am working to correct), but for my assignment I composed it in Pages and then copied it into my learning log here. That was definitely the right order to go about it as I could spellcheck beforehand. I also went back and reread my completed notes twice before posting here to ensure it made sense. I must endeavour to do this for all assignments moving forwards.
  • Cite References - I have started doing some recommended reading around the course and in the second assignment I made an effort to put in a couple of quotes and reference them (hopefully) correctly. As I read more these reference lists will begin to increase. I also need to start referring to journals and articles that I read where appropriate.
  • Theme - It wasn't something I really tried in the first assignment, but going into the second one I wanted to have a theme running through my photographs. The assignment was about using a single subject type, but I wanted to have a story in my head running throughout which I hope I achieved. This will be really good practise for later projects.
  • Creativity - I really wanted to put my own stamp on this second assignment. It really resonated with me and I wanted to use my creativity and imagination to come up with ideas for it rather than follow the suggestions given in the text.
One point I am still working on is learning the technical terminology to be used for explaining why I chose to include and exclude certain elements, colours, props, backgrounds etc. This is still ongoing and as I continue my reading it will be something that becomes more natural to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment