Thursday, April 5, 2012

First attempt with Macro photography

I recently purchased a lovely Sigma 105mm f2.8 macro lens and last week was my first chance to give it a test drive. I stopped off at Nyman's gardens, a beautiful Natural Trust property, to give it a test drive. It took me a few tries to experiment with how close I could get to my subject and still be able to focus and I was amazed at the results. I worked handheld which turned out to be the right choice as I found some interesting insects which don't really stay still!

While walking down one of the flower strewn paths I heard a distinct buzzing sound. The violet flowers were alive with bees. I lay down in the path (much to the confusion of the other people enjoying the gardens) and sat patiently. It took quite a few tries until I managed this shot of a bee feeding. They don't stay still for very long and the garden was very crowded with plants and other insects. It was timed just right to get the bee in focus, with nothing in front of it and the light fully on it's head. I focused on the head and managed to get a shot with his tongue out too. It fits in nicely with my current section of study on colour and I hope to take many more shots of insects.


No comments:

Post a Comment