Monday, March 19, 2012

Project Points : Exercise Positioning a Point

It's been a little while since I have updated this blog, but it's not for lack of immersing myself in photography! If I'm not at work, I'm either taking photographs, planning my next shoot, reading through my notes or reading text books and magazines. I finally have some time to sit down and start writing up the exercises for part two of The Art of Photography.

It suggests using black and white photographs for this part as you are looking for shapes and points rather than getting distracted by colour and I aim to do this where it suits. I took these pictures of a cyclist attempting to cycle (very slowly) up a very steep incline walking around Devil's Dyke in Sussex (a beautiful walk I might add which I hope to go back and do again).

DSC_00139
DSC_00140
DSC_00141
I tried slightly different compositions for all three using the cyclist as my point standing out against the landscape. In the first he is a little off centre and nearer the bottom of the shot than the top so again a little off centre. The second I tried a different orientation keeping my point in the bottom third of the frame. The final shot has him closer to the right edge of the frame and he's pretty much where the thirds cross giving him enough room to move forwards in to.

No comments:

Post a Comment