Monday, February 27, 2012

Steampunk Photography and Thoughts

056/366 - Steampunk Art by Rhinoa
056/366 - Steampunk Art, a photo by Rhinoa on Flickr.
I went to a Steampunk event at the weekend and of course took my camera. It's funny, I'm not usually shy but as I was dressed in my regular scruffy jeans and everyone else looked so fantastic I felt really self conscious. I missed the good light outdoors by the time I plucked up the courage to approach any of the people. The light indoors was shit and I don't have a decent flash (or really know how to get the best of my on camera flash yet), so I upped the ISO and made the best of it.

This was one of my favourite shots of the day. I loved his costume and his relaxed pose. I'm still learning the basics of Photoshop Elements, but I wanted to give this a Victoria vintage feel. I converted it to black and white, upped the red and decreased the green and blue as well as upping the contrast. I then tried adding grain to give it a slightly fuzzy aged feel and this is the end result. Being picky there are a couple of things I don't like (the light in the window on his left being the main thing), but overall I'm impressed it came out looking so cool. I will spend some time this week processing some of the others in a similar style and try and make a montage.

I also had my first go at a studio shoot through meetup. They had a fairy tale theme which I couldn't resist with two models (Sleeping Beauty and Wicked Queen) in two different sets. One was more for portrait work with a black background and the other a scene with an upturned bath and apples. I was super nervous and sweated buckets (possibly because I've been ill also), but did learn a lot. One thing is its really hard to get a shot of the model against the background balancing all the elements. A lot of shots I love the model but due to the angle I used you can see the walls either side of the backdrop. Also in some my shadow got in the way. I had a lot of fun though suggesting poses to the two lovely models and I have lots of ideas and ways to improve for next time. The next step will be processing the images which I may ned to get some guidance on to get the effects I want.

I still feel like I'm at the bottom of the learning curve, but that I'm learning and increasing my knowledge every day. Whether its a new setting on my camera, a new technique, new photographer or just a new experience shooting. Each time I pick up the camera I get more excited and want to make this my profession full time! I even put makeup on my husband tonight and did a mini shoot in the hallway with his new top hat. It's interesting as I always thought I was crap at taking pictures of people and wasn't interested in it, but now it seems to be what I do best and I love it. It's been something I've been trying to practise and I think it's paying off.

No comments:

Post a Comment